Rafting Multi-day trips
From $599 per person
Raft your way through the South Island back country experiencing amazing scenery, top notch cuisine and good company.
We have a wide range of options when it comes to our multi day trips.
From biking to hiking to helicopter transport, fishing, hunting, glow worms and eels, bird watching, goose grabbing, cliff jumping and more.
We will customise your trip to suit your requirements and identify areas that you would like to explore, food you would like to eat and more.
Our multi day rafting trips are suitable for everyone from young families to the more extreme adventurer.
We have a wide range of rivers to choose from so there is something for everyone.
Bike or Hike.
Southern White Water can design hike or bike in adventures where you will have your own adventure before joining us to start an amazing rafting adventure which will see us rafting through remote areas of New Zealand’s backcountry.
You hike or bike in to the raft trip start point. We can take care of your bikes and hiking gear and transport it to the trip end point where our drivers will be waiting.
Luxury accommodations for before and after your trip can be arranged.
We can supply transport, detailed routes, and maps for your adventure.
From a single day rafting to multi-day adventures.
What better way to access the untouched remote NZ backcountry than with a scenic flight over majestic landscapes giving you a bird’s eye view of the valleys below. We will fly into the headwaters of the river with everything we need for our adventure. We have multiple rivers to choose from for your heli-rafting adventures.
As the helicopter departs and the sweet smell of aviation fuel dissipates we are left to gear up and drift our way back to civilisation stopping along the way to camp out and enjoy the ever changing landscapes around us. We can plan a helicopter rafting adventure to suit your requirements.
Helicopter fishing day and multi-day fishing trips are a great way to get off the beaten track and access often unfished stretches of the river.
Please enquire for further details.
What is a typical day on the river?
After meeting your guides you will be given a trip safety briefing that will include how and where you can sit on the rafts, how to hold on, and safety precautions while on the river. A typical day will include rafting for a few hours at a time, stopping for bathroom breaks, lunch and possible swimming opportunities. After a full day of learning the ins and outs of the river and tackling fun rapids, we arrive at camp. You will find your preferred campsite and then return to the rafts and unload our gear. Your help in passing the gear off the boat is greatly appreciated; however, if you have physical restrictions or limitations that would prohibit you from participating, we will take care of it.
In camp, the guides will give a demonstration on how to easily set up your hammock or tent and will be available to help you if you need additional assistance. Southern White Water provides hammocks to sleep in, camp chairs and waterproof gear bags for all guests. You’ll have no need to worry about bringing any of your own camping equipment unless you prefer to.
Please check the gear list for information on what to bring.
While you relax at the river’s edge, your guides will prepare a range of appetisers followed by a delicious dinner and unique desserts. At night, whether you choose to sleep in your hammock or under the canopy of stars, the fresh night air and the rhythm of the river will lull you to sleep. In the morning, your guides will prepare breakfast. You’ll have a chance to enjoy eating before returning to your campsite to take down your hammock and pack up your belongings in your dry bag. After bringing your bag down to the boats, we are off on another fun-filled day of adventure.
- Professional guiding
- 3-5 day remote wilderness adventure
- Delicious & fresh cooked meals
- Video & still images of your trip
- All rafting equipment, including wetsuits, safety equipment, including helmet & pfd
- 60ltr dry-bags, for your personal gear
- Comprehensive First Aid Kit
- Comfortable Hennessey Hammock
- Department of Conservation Services fees
- Transfer from Christchurch to the River
- Airfares to and from Christchurch
- Accommodation whilst in Christchurch
- Travel insurance
- Breakfast on day 1,
- Alcoholic beverages
- Sleeping bag (available for hire if needed)
- Personal medications
- Personal items in packing list
- Additional personal items such as toiletries etc.
Location & Weather
- Located in the South Island of New Zealand, running multiple rivers across the south island. All our adventures require some preparation and planning.
- Our season runs from spring (September) until the commencement of winter (May).
- Cold and ferocious weather can occur at any time, even during the summer months.
- Check the packing list to ensure you have the right gear for even the coldest conditions.
- All trips leave from Christchurch and Transport can be arranged prior to the trip.
- Your guides are fully trained and experienced rafting professionals, campfire chefs and love sharing the wonders of the NZ backcountry with our guests.
- Our guides are passionate about the environments we operate in and are all first aid trained.
- Our cosy campfires are also our ovens, Your guides are passionate about your backcountry dining experience. Plenty of food to go around with some very unique meals that will have you excited and mesmerised.
- We can cater for your needs and special dietary requirements, just let us know with a bit of notice when we are planning your trip.
- Our preferred method of camping, while we are out in the remote wilderness, is the good old Hennessey Hammock.
- We have a range of sizes and styles and you will be surprised just how comfortable they are.
- We stock Hennessey hammocks for sale and are pretty sure you will be interested after you have experienced the comfiest sleep outdoors ever.
- Prior to any multi-day adventure, we like to have a meet and greet if possible and go over the finer details of your adventure, get you sized for correct fitting equipment and issue your 60ltr dry bag for your personal belongings.
- We will explain the trip plans and answer any last minute questions.
Your Multiday Adventure
- Whilst we attempt to be as accurate as possible the following trip notes are representative of an average trip. We will work with you to customise your adventure to best suit you, your requirements and expectations.
- What makes the New Zealand backcountry a truly unique experience is that anything can happen. No 2 adventures are ever the same, and certain aspects are beyond our control.
- Weather, water levels and/or other unforeseen occurrences usually have the final say on how the adventure will pan out.
- Our aim is to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip is had by all.
- Please contact us if you have any questions.
Our Gear, Our Environment
- To minimise our impact on this beautiful environment all our trips are limited to small group sizes.
- We use only the best equipment available and have a wide range of gear to cater for your trip.